Friday, September 5, 2008

Lake Orion Football Home Game

I had an amazing time this Friday Night at the Lake Orion Varsity Football game. Being on the field and taking pictures is an awesome experience. Below are some of my images from the game, or you can see all of the photos at the following link: Lake Orion Football 9/5/2008

I try to tell stories with my photos, so some of these images are not just the standard "guy with football" photo (although I take those shots too.) I took some amazing shots on the sideline that really tell the complete story of the game instead of just what's happening on the field. When photographing an event, it's good to shoot the game with a theme in mind. It helps me the photographer to stay focused on specific aspects of the game without getting overwhelmed with everything that is going on. For this game I had two themes. The first was called "Freshmen Quarterback" since the quarterback is a good friend of the family and the primary reason for my presence on the field. The other theme was "Sideline View." Since this was my first sideline appearance as a photographer I thought I would capture the view from the sidelines as the players and coaches see it.

On with the show:
This first image is the game ball waiting to be thrown, punted, passed, and carried.

EdwardJohnPhotography-6506

Next we have the captivated ball boy waiting to replace the ball once Lake Orion had possession again.

EdwardJohnPhotography-6750

These over-the-shoulder shots really strike me because they give you the perspective of the player or coach as he watches the team in action.

EdwardJohnPhotography-6602
EdwardJohnPhotography-6586

Ok, one more over the shoulder shot, but this one was done with a trendy lifestyle photography style in mind.

EdwardJohnPhotography-6596

Here's the Freshman Quarterback putting his arm around my son's shoulders. My son asked if he could come on the sidelines toward the end of the game so I brought him in, but next thing I knew he was tapping the quarterback on the shoulder and saying "hi." Before I could tell hem to get back on the sidelines and not disturbe the players, I had to take a shot. This moment impressed me a great deal and showed me the kind of person that Sean is. He welcomed my Son and even involved him in the sideline festivities a bit.

EdwardJohnPhotography-6866

The quarterback is a leader on and off the field, and here he is on the field taking charge of the game.
EdwardJohnPhotography-6557

Notice how the ball hovers in the air in this next shot. This was a touchdown pass!
EdwardJohnPhotography-6736

One of my better shots of the quarterback before he was tackled. By the way, I almost got run over taking this shot.
EdwardJohnPhotography-6813

Another part of the story of this game, here's the team walking back on the field with confidence after half time.
EdwardJohnPhotography-6682

Final score Lake Orion 24, West Bloomfield 15. It was an amazing game and a great time to shoot.
EdwardJohnPhotography-6940

By the way, if you have read this far go ahead and check out this amazing photo that I took of "The quarterback" at the sleeping bear dunes this summer.

See all of the photos I took from this game at the following website:
Lake Orion Football 9/5/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Please allow some time for the comment to be posted.