Friday, February 1, 2008

1.61803399


1.61803399

I've been studying composition lately, and the above photo is a crude attempt at the golden ratio of 1.61803399. Photography has a lot more to do with mathematics then I realized. It seems the Greeks really knew what they were doing when it comes to mathematics and pleasing the eye. I'm not saying that this photo is pleasing to the eye, but it does help me to remember this ratio. The shell on the left is in the shape of the Fibonacci spiral and also takes up a bit more than 1/3 of the left side of the photograph, and the shells on the right fill the rest of the space in the path of the spiral. I'll explore this ratio in further photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Please allow some time for the comment to be posted.