Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lego Shadow and the Left/Right Brain Analysis

LEGO Store

Lego's are a big part of my upbringing. I used them as a means to satisfy my urge to build and create things when I was growing up. They ultimately prepared me for a career in engineering and I credit these little plastic pieces for part of my engineering degree. Legos did a lot for the Left side of my brain (the analytical side,) but they did not do much for the right side. This is where photography comes in nicely, because it allows me to use both the right and left sides of my brain. Here's the thought process that goes into this shot.

Right Brain (artistic side):
I love how the light is shining on the word LEGO. Wouldn't the composition of the Word taking up most of the frame be really neat? I'd like to compose a shot that shows off these shadows and highlights the rich red color.

Left Brain (analytical side):
Lets make this happen. It's dark outside and I don't want to use a flash, because the flash would just mess with the shadows. Better grab the 50mm lens because it can let in as much light as possible as quickly as possible. Open the aperture as wide as I can tolerate and still have everything mostly in focus F2.2. Next, make sure I use a shutter speed that is long enough to capture the light, but not too long that I can't hand hold the camera without getting a blurry image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Please allow some time for the comment to be posted.